Cement masons are responsible for all concrete construction, including pouring and finishing of slabs, steps, wall tops, curbs and gutters, sidewalks, paving and other concrete construction. They handle terrazzo, magnesite, epoxy, polymer and other plastic materials for topping repair and injection. Cement masons are responsible for all preparation and repairing of concrete. They also set forms and pins for slabs, steps, curbs and gutters, and paving.
Step 1: Verify Eligibility
- 18 years of age
- Must pass drug screening test
- May be required to possess valid driver’s license
Step 2: Apply
- Apply at Training Facility during posted openings
* Veterans may be able to apply at any time
- Provide copy of DD-214, proof of education and age, and any supporting documents including work history and certifications
- Complete Orientation and Safety Training
- Complete interview with training committee
- Placed in pool of eligible applicants
- Ranked based on interview, experience, and training
- Offered employment based on rank order
Step 3: Start with local 72
- 6,000 hours / 3 years on-the-job training
- Minimum of 144 hours of education each year through Training Facility
- Start at 55% of current journeyperson’s rate.
- Gain 5-10% pay increase after every 1,000 hours of on-the-job training (approx. 6 months) plus required schooling.
- Full 100% journeyperson’s pay after completing the program.