Elevator Constructor Mechanic
Elevator constructor mechanics are responsible for assembly, installation, maintenance, and replacement of elevators, escalators, chairlifts, moving walkways, and similar equipment in buildings. Elevator mechanics usually specialize in installation, maintenance, or repair work.
Step 1: Verify Eligibility
- 18 years of age
- Physically able
- High School diploma/GED
- Current valid driver’s license
- Pass drug screening and background check
Step 2: Apply
- Contact office to apply
- Submit application with copy of DD-214, driver’s license, birth certificate, proof of residency
- Pass COMPASS® Test and Spatial Relations & Mechanical Reasoning Test
- Complete interview
- Placed in pool of eligible applicants
- Ranked based on interview
- Offered employment based on rank order
Step 3: Start
- 8,000 hours / 4 years on-the-job training
- Minimum of 144 hours of education each year
- Start at 50% of current journeyperson’s rate.
- Gain 5-10% pay increase after every 1,000-2,000 hours of on-the-job training (approx. 6-12 months) plus required schooling.
- Full 100% journeyperson’s pay after completing the program.
- Eligible for GI Bill® Housing Allowance
Housing allowance can be found using the GI Bill® Comparison Tool
SEARCH SCHOOL NAME: VERTICAL OPTIONS LLC
Local 19 – Seattle, WA
Local 23 – Portland, OR