Blue Streak Mechanic
Blue Streak Mechanics fabricate details and assemblies by hand or other mechanical means to support production and/or airline AOG or critical spares requirements. When prints, templates, or tools are not available, they develop and fabricate complex temporary shop aid templates and tools which may include forming compound curvatures and angles to support part fabrication. Accomplishment of the above tasks requires regular use of obsolete blueprints, advanced shop math, trigonometry, descriptive geometry (layout and lofting), geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, and computer aided design data such as CATIA DIRRECT.
SELECT AN APPRENTICESHIP LOCATION
IAM / Boeing Joint Apprenticeship Program
Step 1: Verify Eligibility
- 18 years of age
- Physically able
- High school diploma/GED
- Completion of:
ACCUPLACER or COMPASS assessment
Math Intermediate Algebra, English 90
- Eligible for hire or rehire at Boeing company
- No previous enrollment in IAM/Boeing Joint Apprenticeship program
Acquire Necessary Skills
- Review list of required qualifications in the Preparing for an Apprenticeship PrepPack
- Complete required vocational training or minimum of 1 year of trade-related work experience
- Current employees and eligible former employees may contact a Career Advisor
Step 2: Apply
- Apply online during posted openings
- Qualifying applicants will be placed in eligibility pool
- Applicants will be selected for interview
- Selected applicants will be referred to apprenticeship committee
Step 3: Begin Apprenticeship
- 8,000 hours / 4 years on-the-job training
- Minimum of 144 hours of education each year. 4 hours per week at South Seattle College Georgetown.
- Start at 70% of current Journey-Level rate.
- Gain 4% pay increase after every 1,000 hours of on-the-job training (approx. 6 months) plus required schooling.
- Full 100% journeyperson’s pay after completing the program.
Starting Hourly Base Rate
$31.46 + Benefits
G.I. Bill® Housing Allowance
- Usage is optional
- Housing allowance can be found using the GI Bill® Comparison Tool
- Search School Name: IAM-BOEING JOINT APPRENTICESHIP COMMITTEE
Calculate Starting Pay With GI Bill ®
Estimated Wage Calculator
All calculations based on a 120 hours/month work schedule.
*Contact union local for updated wage information.