Plastic Process Technician
A Plastic Process Technicians primary job is to set up, monitor, and troubleshoot plastic injection-molding machines. This requires specialized knowledge of materials, specific tools, and equipment. Troubleshooting tasks might include dealing with inconsistent material, faulty equipment, human error, and preventing defects from occurring.
SELECT AN APPRENTICESHIP LOCATION
Step 1: Verify Eligibility
- 17 years of age
- High school diploma/GED
- Physically able
- Completion of college Math and English classes or assessment test such as:
- Compass Test
- World of Work Inventory
- ASSET Test
Step 2: Gain Employment
Acquire Skills and Get Hired
- Attend 2-day Advanced Manufacturing Prep (AMP) Training
- then continue with one of the Options listed below
- Option 1: Attend 10-week pre-apprenticeship Manufacturing Academy
- then continue with Option 2 or 3
- Option 2: Start a certification or degree program
- then continue with Option 3
- Option 3: Get hired by a Participating Employer
* Request further information on training opportunities by completing this online form
Step 3: Apply
- Once employed by a Participating Employer, ask employer to recommend you for apprenticeship
- Sign an Apprenticeship Agreement with AJAC
Step 4: Begin Apprenticeship
- 8,000 hours / 4 years on-the-job training
- Minimum of 144 hours of education each year. Typically one night per week at local community or technical college
- Start at 60% of current Journey-Level rate.
- Gain 5% pay increase after every 1,000 hours of on-the-job training (approx. 6 months) plus required schooling.
- Full 100% journeyperson’s pay after completing the program.
Estimated Starting Hourly Base Rate
$21.31 + Benefits
* Based on statewide average
G.I. Bill® Housing Allowance
- Usage is optional
- Housing allowance can be found using the GI Bill® Comparison Tool
- Search School Name: AEROSPACE JOINT APPRENTICESHIP COMMITTEE
Calculate Starting Pay With GI Bill ®
Estimated Wage Calculator
All calculations based on a 120 hours/month work schedule.
*Contact union local for updated wage information.