Bricklayers construct walls, fireplaces, commercial buildings, schools, as well as furnaces, kilns and other structures using brick, block, stone, and marble and granite. Tile setters install ceramic tile, marble, and granite on a variety of surfaces such as walls, floors, countertops, pools, showers, tubs, and the exterior of buildings. There are also apprenticeships available in the trades of building restoration, caulking, and terrazzo. These are specialized trades with good career potential.
Step 1: Verify Eligibility
- 18 years of age
- Must pass drug screening test
- May be required to possess valid driver’s license
Step 2: Apply
- Apply at Training Facility during posted openings
* Veterans may be able to apply at any time
- Provide copy of DD-214, proof of education and age, and any supporting documents including work history and certifications
- Complete Orientation and Safety Training
- Complete interview with training committee
- Placed in pool of eligible applicants
- Ranked based on interview, experience, and training
- Offered employment based on rank order
Step 3: Start with local 72
- 6,000 hours / 3 years on-the-job training
- Minimum of 144 hours of education each year through Training Facility
- Start at 50% of current journeyperson’s rate.
- Gain 10% pay increase after every 1,000 hours of on-the-job training (approx. 6 months) plus required schooling.
- Full 100% journeyperson’s pay after completing the program.
Starting Hourly Pay:
$16.00 + Benefits + Optional Housing Allowance
Housing allowance can be found using the GI Bill® Comparison Tool
SEARCH SCHOOL NAME: OREGON COLUMBIA MASONS TATC
Local 1 – Portland, OR
Local 2 – Tukwila, WA
Local 2 – Spokane, WA