Painters and decorators prepare and paint a diverse array of surfaces. There are three main areas of the industry: industrial (steel structures like ship tanks and bridges), commercial buildings (everything from small businesses to high skyscrapers), and residential buildings (homes and small apartments). Painters need to be skilled with a wide variety of hand and power tools, depending upon the type of surface preparation and coating required.
Step 1: Verify Eligibility
- 18 years of age
- Physically able
- High School diploma/GED
Step 2: Apply
- Contact Bellevue Office to apply
- Provide copy of DD-214 and proof of education and age
- Complete interview
* Veterans can apply through Helmets to Hardhats
* Veterans may qualify for direct entry and immediate placement in ranked pool of eligible applicants
- Placed in pool of eligible applicants
- Ranked based on interview
- Offered employment based on rank order
Step 3: Start
- 6,000 hours / 3 years on-the-job training
- Minimum of 160 hours of education each year through one of the CITC Training Facilities or through a local college
- Start at 65% of current journeyperson’s rate.
- Gain 5-10% pay increase after every 1,000 hours of on-the-job training (approx. 6 months) plus required schooling.
- Full 100% journeyperson’s pay after completing the program.
Starting Hourly Base Rate:
1. Minimum Base Rate
Region 1: Western WA $14.95
Region 2: Eastern WA $13.98
Region 3: Southern WA $13.98
Region 4: Central WA $13.98
Map of regions here
2. Plus GI Bill® Housing Allowance
Housing allowance can be found using the GI Bill® Comparison Tool
SEARCH SCHOOL NAME: CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY TNG COUNCIL
Local 300 – Seattle, WA
Local 427 – Kennewick, WA
Local 10 – Portland, OR