Public Utilities — Water
Water Utility Workers operate and maintain the systems that deliver drinking water to homes and businesses. Workers may be employed as pipefitters to install, maintain, and repair pipes, meters, fire hydrants, and other water system components. They may also be involved in drainage and wastewater treatment to keep people safe and protect the environment. See the programs listed below to find out what positions may be available.
Apprenticeship Programs Offered:
- Water Technician
- Power systems wireman
- Generation mechanic
- Hydro operator
- Generation wireman
- Electric utility technician
* For Electrical Programs go to Chelan County PUD-Electrical apprenticeship page
Step 1: Verify Eligibility
- 18 years of age
- Physically able
- Valid driver’s license
- High School diploma, GED
- Relevant education or technical experience
- Click here for additional information on qualifications, job descriptions, and training process
Step 2: Apply
- Submit application online during posted openings
- Click here to learn how to apply
- Create a Job Alert to receive notifications when job openings occur
- Job openings are also available by calling the 24-hour Job Line: (509)661-8001 or 1-800-297-8074
Step 3: Start Apprenticeship
- 6,000 hours / 3 years on-the-job training
- Minimum of 144 hours of education completed evenings and weekends
- Start at 74% of current journeyperson’s rate.
- Gain pay increase after every 1,000 hours of on-the-job training (approx. 6 months) plus required schooling.
- Full 100% journeyperson’s pay after completing the program.