Tool & Cutter Grinder
Tool & Cutter Grinders set up and operate a variety of conventional and CNC machines to modify, fabricate, and re-sharpen precision, high quality machine cutting tools to tight tolerance specifications. Tool & Cutter Grinder apprentices receive training in all aspects of the Tool and Cutter Grind trade, including a wide variety of drill/reamer grinding, high speed cutting tools, and carbide cutting tools utilizing conventional universal tool and cutter grind equipment, and CNC tool and cutter grind machines. Tool and Cutter Grind apprentices also receive training on our new state of the art CemeCon tool coating process, as well as learn most aspects of the Cutting Tool business.
Step 1: Verify Eligibility
- 18 years of age
- Physically able
- High school diploma/GED
- Completion of:
ACCUPLACER or COMPASS assessment
Math Intermediate Algebra, English 90
- Eligible for hire or rehire at Boeing company
- No previous enrollment in IAM/Boeing Joint Apprenticeship program
Acquire Necessary Skills
- Review list of required qualifications in the Preparing for an Apprenticeship PrepPack
- Complete required vocational training or minimum of 1 year of trade-related work experience
- Current employees and eligible former employees may contact a Career Advisor
Step 2: Apply
- Apply online during posted openings
- Qualifying applicants will be placed in eligibility pool
- Applicants will be selected for interview
- Selected applicants will be referred to apprenticeship committee
Step 3: Begin Apprenticeship
- 8,000 hours / 4 years on-the-job training
- Minimum of 144 hours of education each year. 4 hours per week at South Seattle College Georgetown.
- Start at 70% of current Journey-Level rate.
- Gain 4% pay increase after every 1,000 hours of on-the-job training (approx. 6 months) plus required schooling.
- Full 100% journeyperson’s pay after completing the program.
Starting Hourly Base Rate
$30.70 + Benefits
G.I. Bill® Housing Allowance
- Usage is optional
- Housing allowance can be found using the GI Bill® Comparison Tool
- Search School Name: IAM-BOEING JOINT APPRENTICESHIP COMMITTEE