CONSTRUCTION TRUCK DRIVER
Construction truck drivers deliver sand, gravel, crushed rock, concrete, and other materials to construction sites. They also haul dirt and other excavated materials away from construction sites. They drive dump trucks and trailers of all sizes and types including truck and pup, side dump, belly dump, water truck, and sweeper truck. Apprentices will obtain a class A commercial driver’s license and must learn to perform complex backing skills.
Step 1: Verify Eligibility
- 21 years of age
- Physical ability determined by DOT Physical
- Proficient in English
- Current, valid driver’s license
- Pass drug screening test
Step 2: Apply
- Request application online or by contacting Teamsters Training Facility
- Provide copy of DD-214, driver’s license, DMV report
- Attend Orientation and Interview typically conducted in January
* Veterans can apply through Helmets to Hardhats for fast-track to apprenticeship.
- Placed in pool of eligible applicants
- Ranked based on Orientation Day score, interview, and veteran’s preference
- Placed on available-for-training list
- Complete six-week Commercial Driver License (CDL) course
Step 3: Start with Teamster Joint Council No. 28
- 3,000 hours / 2 years on-the-job training
- • Minimum of 144 hours of education each year through local Training Facility
- Start at 70% of current journeyperson’s rate.
- Gain 10% pay increase after every 1,000 hours of on-the-job training (approx. 6 months) plus required schooling.
- Full 100% journeyperson’s pay after completing the program.