Truck Mechanics inspect, repair, and overhaul trucks as well as maintain and repair various types of engines. Mechanics work on light, medium, and/or heavy duty trucks.
Step 1: Verify Eligibility
- 18 years of age
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Physically able
- Valid driver’s license (CDL preferred)
Step 2: Apply
- Apply online for Kelso, WA
- Attend interview when positions are available
- Selected individuals will be hired for a 60 day evaluation period
- Continue as an apprentice after completing evaluation period
Step 3: Begin Apprenticeship
- 8,000 hours / 4 years on-the-job training*
- Minimum of 144 hours of education each year
* Prior training and experience may count towards required on-the-job training
- Start at 60% of current journeyperson’s rate.
- Gain 4-8% pay increase after every 1,000 hours of on-the-job training (approx. 6 months) plus required schooling.
- Full 100% journeyperson’s pay after completing the program.
Starting Hourly Base Rate
$16.50 (estimated average)
+ Benefits, Tooling, and Shift Differential
G.I. Bill® Housing Allowance
- Usage is optional
- Housing allowance can be found using the GI Bill® Comparison Tool
- Search School Name: DSU PETERBILT